$170 Million Secured to Help Expand Broadband in Upstate NY
The Federal Communications Commission (FCC), as part of its Connect America Fund (CAF), offered funding to providers to service certain areas in NYS. $170 million of that funding that would have been allocated to NYS was declined. In a Bipartisan effort, Governor Cuomo, Empire State Development, Senators Schumer and Gillibrand, and the NYS Congressional delegation wrote to the FCC urging them to keep the unclaimed funding in NYS to help expand broadband. The BPO launched a solicitation of interest to potentially address these territories in October 2016 and the State continued an ongoing lobbying effort to secure the funding.
On January 26, 2017 Governor Cuomo announced that the FCC voted to allocate the $170 million to New York, keeping the funds in the State. The Federal funding will be used in conjunction with existing State resources to fund certain areas of Round 3 of the New NY Broadband Program, which will bring high-speed internet services to New York’s most unserved rural areas.
Click here to read the Governor's press release.
- FCC approves $170M to boost rural broadband in NY - The Hill
- FCC Agrees to Let New York Direct Some Broadband Subsidies - Broadcasting & Cable
- NY Wins $170M In Broadband Funds Turned Down By Verizon - Law360
- New York broadband to get funding boost - Rochester Democrat & Chronicle
- $170M Secured To Help Expand Broadband Across Upstate NY - WWNY
- Federal Communications Commission Chairman Ajit Pai’s First Action is Approving Connect America Fund Dollars to New York State - BroadbandBreakfast.com
- FCC approves $170 million for New York broadband rollout - Engadget
- New York to keep $170M to expand broadband access - Associated Press (via WXXI News)
- FCC Approves $170 Million for New York Broadband Expansion - PerfScience
- Schumer: Upstate broadband funding to stay in New York - The Post Star
- FCC agrees to open upstate New York broadband funds turned down by Verizon - The Daily News Online
- Funding coming to expand rural broadband in upstate - WHEC
- $170M in previously declined broadband funding staying in NYS - WBNG
- Feds provide $170M to boost broadband in upstate N.Y. - The Daily Gazette
- NY state rural areas get USD 170 mln broadband help from FCC - Telecompaper